Here’s the deal. The jade plant (Crassula argentea) is a popular houseplant and many people ask if the Jade is poisonous.
Known by its botanical name Crassula ovata, is a well-liked member of the Crassulaceae family.
Read more about Jade Plant Care
Native to the drylands of South Africa, this succulent houseplant is fairly easy to propagate and maintain.
Jade enjoys bright light, dry soil, and moderate to cool temperatures.
Named due to its resemblance to the precious gemstone, Jade tree has brilliant green-blue, cactus-like, moisture-retaining leaves with a glossy sheen.
The 2” inches long, fleshy, oblong leaves are attached to the woody stems.
The plant grows up to 6’ feet in size.
The beautiful, miniature, star-shaped flowers in varied hues of white, pink, orange, and purple add to the beauty of the plant during the spring season.
The plant is called by numerous common names, including:
- Chinese/Japanese rubber plant
- Money plant
- Tree of happiness
- Friendship tree
- Dollar plant
- Baby jade
- Money tree
- Penny plant
Much appreciated for its splendor as an indoor plant, the succulent is grown as an outdoor plant in U.S. Department of Agriculture plant hardiness zones 11 through 12.
Growing and caring for this plant is relatively easier, but special care must be taken if keeping the plant in a house with pets.
Now to the question…
Is The Jade Plant Poisonous or Toxic?
The Jade tree has found to be mildly poisonous to humans upon ingestion, causing minor symptoms like vomiting and diarrhea.
However, Jade plants are included in the list of extremely poisonous plants for dogs and cats, according to ASPCA.
If your cat or dog is lured into taking a bite of the plant, they can develop symptoms of jade plant poisoning.
More on: Succulents Poisonous to Dogs
What Parts Of The Jade Plant Are Poisonous or Toxic?
All parts of the Jade tree are considered poisonous.
While the substance responsible for the toxicity of the plant remains unknown, it is advised to keep the pets away from the leaves, flowers, stems, and roots of the plant.
Avoid contact with the sap or thorns.
What Are The Symptoms Of Poisoning?
Jade plant shows signs of toxicity in humans when the sap or juice of the plant comes in contact with the skin.
The symptoms of skin irritation include itching or burning sensation.
Ingesting the plant in a considerable quantity leads to signs of an upset stomach.
In cats and dogs, the symptoms are more severe.
The digestive system of the animals reacts to the toxins present in the plant.
It causes gastric distress with excessive drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, nausea, and abdominal pain.
Your pets may show signs of depression, weakness, and lethargy.
You may notice your pet being aggressive or shy.
In some rare cases, the symptoms of poisoning are more severe, such as convulsions, reduction in heart rate, and impaired muscle movement.
The symptoms can range from mild to severe depending on the quantity of the plant ingested.
Learn more about the Jade Plant Dropping Leaves
How To Protect Yourself While Handling the Jade Plant?
These toxic plants should be kept out of the reach of pets and children.
The plants must be handled with care and the sap and thorns should be avoided.
Wear gloves while potting the plant or trimming the spent leaves.
If your pet has taken a bite of the jade plant, clear the chunks from the mouth and take them to the veterinarian or contact the poison control center.
If the animal shows severe symptoms, the doctor will perform the standard evacuation, decontamination, and may keep the pet under observation.